Monday 10 October 2011

Front Cover Drawing Ideas

For the next part of my research I will draw different designs for the front cover of my magazine and decide how I will want to lay it out.

I like this first layout as it is very clear. The picture is the main attraction and the title is bold. The title also fits well around the picture which gives a modern feel. My title is spread out over two lines and this allows it to not be squashed on one line and to make it stronger. There is room for writing and information on the right hand side and also a bar at the bottom to put some writing. This contains as much writing as there would be on a professional magazine cover. I like this layout for a magazine cover.




I feel that the second magazine layout is not very effective. The title is on one line which will make it easy to read however it may be slightly squashed all on one line. The picture is the main focus however there is a lot of blank space at the bottom which will make the cover quite boring and unattractive. There are a lot of room for information however I feel there is too much for a front cover as there shouldn’t be much on a front page. I feel this layout for a front cover is not adequate and would not be effective.

This layout is very similar to the first one however the writing is on the other side. The title is on two lines however it is centred rather than over slightly to one side, this would make the feel of the front cover very regimented and ordered which I do not want. As I want a modern feel this would not be good and would take a slightly different approach to the title, however overall I like the general layout.




I like this layout for a front cover magazine however it does have some faults to it. The title is more to one side which I think is effective. There is room at the bottom and at the side for information. However what I don’t like about it is that the information on the right hand side is very high up and is quite close to the title. In this way readers could get confused and the cover could have a “cluttered” feel.

I think the layout for the fifth drawing can be very effective. There is lots of room for information and I have incorporated a different idea by having three small boxes at the bottom for different features. The picture is merged well but also stands out and would be the main focus on the page.








For the sixth drawing I have put together a few ideas from different drawings. The picture is fairly large on the page and overlaps part of the title which is very common with magazine covers now. There is a bar at the bottom for information and two small boxes for information spread at the top and bottom of the page. This makes the cover more interesting and gives the reader different places to look on the page to read information.
Overall I like the first idea that I drew, I think it gives enough room for information, is laid out clearly and effectively, and gives a simple feel without it being boring.


No comments:

Post a Comment